Reference No: NZG/2021/005
Closes: Friday, 26 March 2021
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R370 655.00 to R518 916.00 per annum
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, dedicated, professional and responsible person to care assist veterinarians in their task with diagnosing, treating and taking care of animals in the NZG’s animal collection and hospital patients, donations and confiscated animals accommodated in the hospital as well as general hospital administration.
The successful candidate must be in a possession of a diploma or degree in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent qualification with NQF 7, enhanced by 6 years’ experience in relevant field, 3 years of which should be in supervisory position(s) working with captive animal or intensive wildlife management field. The successful candidate must also be registered as Veterinary Nurse with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC).
The responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Ensure animal health services in support for the National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan; assist clinical veterinarians with the treatment of animals, and attend to all nursing and caring of animals including treatment of outpatients
- Perform hospital & quarantine services, and maintain clinic, medicine dispensary unit & theatre services
- Provide assistance to the veterinarians with the implementation of the preventative medicine program within the animal collection
- Assist with pest control and hygiene procedure in the hospital, and laboratory supervision & assist with conducting post-mortems
- Facilitate the Preventative Medicine Programme (PMP) visits and treatments, and performing analysis and research of animal samples/specimens when required.
- Perform administration, human resources responsibilities, procurement of medicines, goods and services and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Dr Terrence Thovhakale on 012 328 2791 or, preferably, forward the completed application form, a cover letter, certified copies of qualifications, ID, Driver’s license and concise CV via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
PO Box 754,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.