Reference number: NZG/001/2023
Closes: Friday, 10 February 2023
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R393 711.00 per annum
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, dedicated, professional, and responsible person to assist Veterinarians in their task for diagnosis, treatment, and taking care of animals in the National Zoological Garden (NZG) with specific reference to animal collection, hospital patients, donations, and confiscated animals accommodated in the hospital as well as general hospital administration.
The successful candidate must be in a possession of a National Diploma in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent qualification with NQF Level 6. Advanced Diploma or a Degree in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent qualification at NQF 7 will be an added advantage. This position also requires 3 years’ experience in the relevant field, working with captive animal or intensive wildlife management field.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: registration as a Veterinary Nurse with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC) is essential; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related veterinary nursing is essential; advanced planning, organizing, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook) will be advantageous. The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key performance responsibilities include the following:
- Ensure animal health services in support for the National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan and assist clinical veterinarians with the treatment of animals, and attend to all nursing and caring of animals including treatment of outpatients;
- Perform hospital & quarantine services, and maintain clinic, medicine dispensary unit & theatre services;
- Provide assistance to the veterinarians with the implementation of the preventative medicine program within the animal collection;
- Assist with pest control and hygiene procedure in the hospital, and laboratory supervision & assist with conducting post-mortems;
- Facilitate the Preventative Medicine Programme (PMP) visits and treatments and performing analysis and research of animal samples/specimens when required; and
- Perform administration, human resources responsibilities, procurement of medicines, goods and services and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply . SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Cell: 082 737 2125