Reference No: NZG/2021/009
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, dedicated, professional and responsible person to care assist veterinarians in their task with diagnosing, treating and taking care of animals in the NZG’s animal collection and hospital patients, donations and confiscated animals accommodated in the hospital as well as general hospital administration.
The successful candidate must be in a possession of a National Diploma or Degree in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent qualification with NQF 6, enhanced by 6 years’ experience in the relevant field, working with captive animal or intensive wildlife management field. The successful candidate must also be registered as Veterinary Nurse with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC).
Key performance responsibilities include the following:
- Ensure animal health services in support for the National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan; assist clinical veterinarians with the treatment of animals, and attend to all nursing and caring of animals including treatment of outpatients
- Perform hospital & quarantine services, and maintain clinic, medicine dispensary unit & theatre services
- Provide assistance to the veterinarians with the implementation of the preventative medicine program within the animal collection
- Assist with pest control and hygiene procedure in the hospital, and laboratory supervision & assist with conducting post-mortems
- Facilitate the Preventative Medicine Programme (PMP) visits and treatments and performing analysis and research of animal samples/specimens when required.
- Perform administration, human resources responsibilities, procurement of medicines, goods and services and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Dr Terrance Thovhakale on Tel: +27 (0)12 399 2783 for any queries for purposes of clarity. Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Postal applications must be addressed to: Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations, South African National Biodiversity Institute, PO Box 754, Pretoria, 0001.
Please note that suitably qualified candidates who have previously applied for this position are welcome to re-apply.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 3 September 2021
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R370 655.00 to R518 916.00