Reference Number: NZG/005/2022
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATES WHO PREVIOUSLY APPLIED FOR THIS POSITION, CAN RE-APPLY.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a self-motivated individual to lead comparative genomics research in-line with SANBI’s research strategy.
The position requires a PhD in Comparative Genomics or related field, or equivalent and relevant qualification at NQF 10 with a strong scientific background in genomic mapping, filtering and analyzing whole genomes; applying bioinformatic tools, models and simulations. . This position requires at least 4 years relevant working experience.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: strong scientific background in genomic mapping, filtering, and analyzing the whole genomes; exceptional ability to apply bioinformatic tools, models, and simulations; a solid track record of proven impact through the application of computational biology approaches (e.g. comparative genomics, phylogenomic, pathway analysis, metagenomics), a proven ability to generate new research ideas, publish research findings and raise funds for own research; a proven record and ability to identify and foster key stakeholder relationships in the field(s) of comparative genomics, bioinformatics and foundational biodiversity science; comprehensive knowledge to ensure that the necessary reagents are stocked, equipment maintenance and repairs as needed, and relevant computational pipelines, and appropriate statistical analysis are developed for genomics and bioinformatics analysis is essential; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to comparative genomics is essential; advanced planning, organizing, and problem solving skills; excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook) will be advantageous. The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key Performance Responsibilities include:
- Identify appropriate computational software and packages, develop computational pipelines, and apply appropriate statistical analysis, and coalescent simulations and modeling to interpret results from functional genomics approaches;
- Develop and lead own research programme that contributes to the divisional research direction in line with SANBI Research and Development Strategy;
- Participate in national and international collaborative projects and initiatives; and
- Build research capacity through supervision and mentorship of interns, post graduate students and/or emerging scientists.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Vusi Mncwango on Tel: +27 (0)82 737 2125 for any queries for purposes of clarity. Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal applications must be addressed to: Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 28 October 2022
Job type: Permanent
Salary: Salary commensurate with a range of inputs and outputs in terms of career ladder for scientists