Reference Number: NZG/008/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a highly motivated individual to assist and support the Chief Director: National Zoological Garden by ensuring safe and efficient management, operation, and development of all National Zoological Gardens premises and leading the planning, development, and management of site staff resources, including coordination, and delegation of relevant activities. Among other activities, the individual will provide strong leadership, management, and supervision of the Technical Services, Facilities Management, Estate Management, Project Management, Fleet Management and Security Management in line with organisational policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks.
This position requires a postgraduate degree in Civil Engineering/Structural Engineering/Construction Engineering/Architecture or equivalent and relevant qualification at NQF level 8. A postgraduate degree in Civil Engineering/ Structural Engineering/Construction Engineering/ Architecture, or equivalent and relevant qualification at NQF level 9 will be an added advantage. This position also requires a minimum of 10 years of work experience in the relevant field, 5 years of which should be at the middle management level.
The following competencies are critical for the candidate to be successful in this position: extensive experience in working with the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB); comprehensive knowledge of the PFMA; advanced knowledge of infrastructure procurement and associated processes; extensive experience in construction project management of similar scaled projects; comprehensive experience in labour-intensive construction and managing expanded public works programmes; excellent knowledge and understanding of building materials/tools available in the built environment sector; in-depth understanding of the relevant regulatory processes applicable to the Built Environment sector; must have a high level of project, programme, procurement, financial, and human resources management expertise; strong leadership and people management skills; advance experience in developing and implementation of strategies related to technical services, estate, and facilities management; proven ability to work with government and international organisations; comprehensive experience for management of donor funded projects involving collaborators from a number of institutions, substantial budgets and several project staff/students/interns would be highly advantageous; in-depth understanding of relevant legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices related technical services, estate, and facilities management; ability to develop and maintain partnerships; advance knowledge for planning and organising, statistical reporting, and business writing skills; excellent organisational, analytical, and problem solving skills; excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook. Registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) and/or South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP) will be a strong recommendation. The candidate must be in possession of a valid driver’s licence and must be willing to travel nationally.
Key Performance Responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic leadership and direction in Technical Services, Project and Programme Management, Estate Management, Facilities Management, Waste Management and Fleet Management;
- Lead the processes of Project Management, Technical Services Management, Waste Management, Hygiene Management, Horticultural Management, Fleet Management, Health, Safety and Security Management;
- Provide guidance and assistance with implementation and facilitation of key infrastructural development projects; and maintain effective stakeholders relationships;
- Oversee proper maintenance of NZG infrastructure, SANBI projects, assets, animal enclosures, landscapes, estates, fleets, facilities, horticultural equipment, and nursery; including design of NZG surveying activities, landscapes, estate plans, and drawings;
- Manage Human Capital Development and Transformation, including staff performance management and employee development for the Directorate, students and interns and other various initiatives for human capital development and transformation; and
- Manage risk, compliance and monitoring by ensuring compliance with health and safety protocols, development of risk management plans, compliance with financial and supply chain management procedures
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Maano Netshiombo on 012 843 5295 or email@example.com for any queries. Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag X101
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 7 July 2023
Salary: R1 162 200.00 per annum