Reference number: NZG/011/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a highly motivated individual to provide leadership and strategic direction to the Biodiversity Education & Public Engagement Directorate of the National Zoological Gardens (NZG ) in order to establish and maintain the National Zoological Gardens as a science engagement platform in accordance with the SANBI mandate and National Environmental Management Biodiversity Act (NEMBA) requirements.
This position requires a postgraduate degree in Environmental Science/Life Sciences/Education, or equivalent and relevant postgraduate qualification at NQF level 8. A relevant postgraduate qualification at NQF level 9 will be an added advantage. This position also requires a minimum of 10 years work experience in the relevant field, 5 years of which should be at middle management level.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: extensive knowledge and understanding of Biodiversity Education and Public Engagement policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks; strong leadership capabilities and management skills; professional writing and editing skills; strong project management skills; proven ability to think strategically, analyse information logically, and exercise sound judgement; ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team, reliable, and a clear-thinker who is able to solve complex and challenging problems; advanced planning, organizing, interpersonal skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook) is essential.
The possession of a valid driver’s and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key performance responsibilities include:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Biodiversity Education and Public Engagement Strategy for NZG;
- Manage NZG’s Programme for Education Support, through supporting quality teaching and learning in the formal education sector;
- Manage NZG’s Programme for Science Careers, by encouraging and supporting career development and youth advancement, through the conservation of biodiversity;
- Manage NZG’s Programme for Public Engagement, by promoting enhanced understanding and engagement within the biodiversity sector;
- Manage stakeholder liaison regarding biodiversity education and public engagement matters; and
- Assist in preparation and consolidation of monthly, quarterly, and annual performance information and reports.
1) An application form (obtainable from our offices must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test and competency assessment will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number may result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 16 December 2022
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R1 105 383.00 per annum
Mr Maano Netshiombo
Tel.: +27 (0)12 843 5295