Reference number: NZG/003/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a self-motivated individual to plan and implement day-to-day care of the animals and the supervision of animal attendants in their sections.
This position requires an advanced diploma or degree in Zoology, Nature Conservation, Game Ranch Management, Animal Health or equivalent and relevant qualification with NQF 7. Postgraduate qualification or equivalent and relevant qualification at NQF 8 will be an added advantage. 3 years’ experience in ex situ animal conservation with at least one (1) year in the relevant animal order, and one (1) year in a supervisory role are essential.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: strong passion for animals and knowledge of captive animal husbandry are essential; ability to do physical labour and work outdoors in inclement weather is essential; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to day-to-day care of animals is essential; advanced planning, organizing, and problem solving skills; excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse team is essential; The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel are essential.
Key performance responsibilities include:
- Perform animal care & feeding duties;
- Attend to breeding, game capture, and animal display;
- Ensure environmental enrichment and Animal Conditioning training;
- Maintain tools and equipment and attend to enclosure maintenance and pest control; and
- Attend to conservation administration, HR responsibilities, and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
For more information, please see SANBI’s POPIA compliance.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Tracy Rehse on Tel: +27 (0)12 399 2700 for any queries for purposes of clarity. Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to Conservatornzg002@sanbi.org.za.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations,
National Zoological Gardens,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag x101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 18 February 2022
Job type: Permanent
Location: Pretoria (Tshwane)
Salary: R261 372.00 per annum