Reference number: NZG/007/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a highly motivated, efficient, and enthusiastic person to provide clinical veterinary services for the Centre for Wildlife Health for the animal collections of the National Zoological Gardens and to render a variety of activities such as diagnosis and treatment, necropsies, preventive medicine program, husbandry support, game capture support, research support, training and consultation in support of the National Zoological Garden to achieve its strategic objectives, goals, and mandate.
This position requires a degree in Veterinary or equivalent qualification at NQF 7. A postgraduate degree in Veterinary or equivalent qualification at NQF 8 will be an added advantage. This position also requires a minimum of 8 years of work experience in the relevant field, 4 years of which should be in first line management position(s).
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: registration as a Veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC) is essential; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to the provision of clinical veterinary services is essential; comprehensive experience with non-domestic animals and research would be considered an advantage; ability to execute necropsy examination of animals and birds is essential; good personal skills for communicating with external clients and ability to work in a diverse team whilst being quality, cost, and safety conscious; proven ability to be responsible, and proactive, anticipate problems and show initiative in solving them would be an absolute added advantage; evidence based medical approach to treatments and diagnosis of animals related welfare and disease concerns; advanced planning, organizing, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook) will be advantageous. The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key performance responsibilities include the following:
- Perform animal health and welfare services in support to National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan, that is, to provide an effective animal health, treatment, and care service thereby conforming to the veterinary code of conduct and highest ethics code;
- Maintain legal and professional accountabilities and responsibilities;
- Ensure for the implementation of preventative medicine plan for animals and birds;
- Maintain effective liaison and networking, and stakeholder management;
- Provide veterinary support and assistance to National Departments and involvement in veterinary based research and identified Animal Working Groups; and
- Facilitate effective project management, general administration duties and services.
1) An application form (obtainable from our offices must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test and competency assessment will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number may result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to email@example.com.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
PO Box 754,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 07 July 2023
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R811 560.00 per annum
Ms Zanele Mdliva
Tel.: +27 (0)12 339 2761