N.B. CANDIDATES WHO PREVIOUSLY APPLIED, NEED NOT REAPPLY
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for well-qualified, experienced, hard-working, enthusiastic and motivated person to be appointed as a Clinical Veterinarian at the National Zoological Garden (NZG) in Pretoria. The Clinical Veterinarian will be conducting veterinary clinical diagnostics and treatment of animals in the collections. The NZG’s animal collections encompass more than 4000 specimens representing mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and other taxa.
The appointment requires a relevant post-graduate qualification in Veterinary, Natural Sciences or equivalent qualification at NQF Level 8 enhanced by minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience in clinical veterinarian, of which four (4) years must be at middle management level.
The successful candidate must:
- Be registered as Veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC)
- Have additional veterinary courses.
- Have experience with wildlife (non-domestic) animals and knowledge in zoological medicine, research would be considered an advantage.
- Be willingness to assist in necropsy examination of animals and birds.
- Demonstrate evidence based medical approach to treatments and diagnosis of animals related welfare and disease concerns.
- Have experience in wildlife capture and anesthesia.
- Have valid driver’s license.
Preferred skills and experience include: good interpersonal skills, communication skills (internal & external), problem solving, strong leadership skills, project management, analytic, good networking and stakeholder engagement, teamwork, financial analysis and reporting, and people management.
- Perform animal health and welfare services in support to National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan, that is, to provide an effective animal health, treatment, and care service thereby conforming to the veterinary code of conduct and highest ethics code.
- Maintain legal and professional accountabilities and responsibilities.
- Ensure the implementation of preventative medicine plan for animals and birds.
- Maintain effective liaison and networking, and stakeholder management.
- Provide veterinary support and assistance to National Departments, & involvement in veterinary based research and identified Animal Working Groups.
- Facilitate effective project management, general administration duties and services.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met. Applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered.
2) A skills test, competency assessment and background checks will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide their full names, addresses and telephone numbers, and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Pretoria National Botanical Garden,
2 Cussonia Avenue, Brummeria,
Private Bag X101,
Closes: Friday, 11 December 2020
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R 519 601 to R 727 440 per annum.