Reference Number: NZG/009/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a self-motivated individual to ensure for proper design, construction and maintenance of structures using wooden raw materials and associated products and ancillaries.
This position requires a Trade Certificate with a Red Seal OR equivalent NQF Level 5 qualification. Higher Education Qualification at NQF 6 will be an added advantage. 5 years of relevant technical experience, of which 2 years should have been at a supervisory level.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of carpentry including cabinet making, building and construction carpentry; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to all aspects of carpentry including cabinet making, building and construction carpentry is essential; advanced planning, organizing, time management, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); ability to work under pressure whilst being safety and quality conscious including ability to work with diverse team is essential; The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel are essential.
Key Performance Responsibilities include:
- Receive Job Cards/instruction from the Supervisor on minor projects which need completion;
- Provide specialised technical expertise on all technical related matters, using the relevant equipment;
- Assist Supervisor in operational and maintenance project planning;
- Perform on-site inspections, and preparation;
- Identify material needed according to specification and plans;
- Construct, manufacture, and execute projects to design specifications;
- Oversee staff and administration;
- Ensure Compliance with safety standards and regulations and requirements for staff, visitors, animals and service providers.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Ms Sanelisiwe Hlophe
Tel: +27 (0)12 399 2760
Closes: Friday, 3 June 2022
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R261 372.00