Reference Number: NZG/005/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, dedicated, professional and responsible person to care for the National Zoological Garden animals according to the required global standards of animal husbandry and welfare, as well as maintenance and management of the enclosures in which they live.
This position requires a Grade 12, or equivalent at NQF 4 and a valid driver’s licence. A qualification in Nature Conservation or equivalent qualification at NQF 5 will be added advantage. The position also requires 2 years’ work experience in the captive animal or intensive wildlife management field.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: must have a passion for animals and knowledge of captive animal husbandry; must be able to operate and function under pressure and after hours whilst being quality and safety conscious; proven ability to work with a team and independently; must also be able to operate within the framework of the approved standard operating procedures; good planning, organizing, interpersonal, time management, and problem solving skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, Internet and Outlook) will be advantageous. This position requires the applicant to conduct physical labour and work outdoors in inclement weather.
Key performance responsibilities include:
- Perform general animal care, cleaning, & feeding;
- Assist with breeding and game capture;
- Ensure environmental enrichment and animal conditioning training;
- Perform pest control and enclosure maintenance;
- Attend to animal display, and tool and equipment care; and
- Perform administration, human resources (HR) responsibilities, and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
3) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered. Those who previously applied are welcome to re-apply.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorized verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations,
National Zoological Gardens,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag x101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Ms Sanelisiwe Hlophe
Tel.: 012-339 2760
Closes: Thursday, 30 September 2022
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R176 310.00 per annum