Reference Number: NZG/004/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires two enthusiastic, dedicated, professional and responsible people to care for the National Zoological Garden animals according to the required global standards of animal husbandry and welfare, as well as maintenance and management of the enclosures in which they live.
This position requires a Grade 10, job specific qualification, or equivalent qualification with NQF 2 with 5 years of work experience in the relevant field, or a Grade 12, job specific qualification or equivalent qualification with NQF 4 with 4 years of work experience in the relevant field. Higher certificate in Nature Conservation or equivalent qualification at NQF 5 will be an added advantage
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: a passion for animals and knowledge of captive animal husbandry; be able to operate and function under pressure and after hours whilst being quality and safety conscious; proven ability to work with a diverse team and independently; be able to operate within the framework of the approved standard operating procedures; good planning, organizing, interpersonal, time management, and problem solving skills; excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (MS Word, Internet and Outlook) will be advantageous. This position requires the applicant to conduct physical labour and work outdoors in inclement weather. Applicants must be in possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Key Performance Responsibilities include:
- Perform general animal care, cleaning, & feeding;
- Assist with animal breeding and animal capture;
- Ensure environmental enrichment and animal conditioning training;
- Perform pest control and enclosure maintenance;
- Attend to animal display, and tool and equipment care; and
- Perform administration, human resources, and stakeholder relations responsibilities.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a self-written letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met. Applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
3) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorized verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to email@example.com
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations
National Zoological Gardens
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag x101
Please use Ref NZG/002/2023 in the subject line of all correspondence.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Ms. Zanele Mdliva
Tel: 012-339 2761
Closes: Friday, 22 September 2023
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R202 233.00 per annum