Reference Number: NZG/003/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a self-motivated individual to plan and implement day-to-day care of the animals and the supervision of animal conservation workers in their sections.
This position requires a national diploma in Zoology, Nature Conservation, Game Ranch Management, Animal Health or equivalent qualification at NQF 6 with 4 years of work experience in the relevant field or a degree in Zoology, Nature Conservation, Game Ranch Management, Animal Health or equivalent qualification at NQF 7 with 2 years of work experience in the relevant field. Postgraduate qualification in Zoology, Nature Conservation, Game Ranch Management, Animal Health or equivalent qualification with NQF 8 will be an added advantage.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: excellent swimming skills and be willing to be trained as a commercial diver and possession of a commercial dive license will be advantageous; strong passion for animals and knowledge of captive animal husbandry; ability to do physical labour and work outdoors in inclement weather; extensive knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to day-to-day care of animals; advanced planning, organizing, and problem solving skills; excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse team and under pressure whilst being cost, quality, and safety conscious; be in a possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel.
Key Performance Responsibilities include:
- Perform and oversee general animal care & feeding;
- Attend to animal breeding, animal capture, and animal displays;
- Ensure environmental enrichment and animal conditioning training is conducted;
- Maintain tools and equipment;
- Attend to enclosure maintenance and pest control; and
- Attend to conservation administration, HR responsibilities, and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a self-written letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met. Applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered.
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorized verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. . SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Sanelisiwe Hlophe on Tel: +27 (0)12 399 2700 for any queries for purposes of clarity. Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations
National Zoological Gardens
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag x101
Please use Ref NZG/003/2023 in the subject line of all correspondence.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 23 June 2023
Salary: R294 321.00