Reference No: NZG/2021/002
Closes: Friday, 26 March 2021
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R165 849.00 to R 232 188.00 per annum
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, dedicated, professional and responsible person to care for the National Zoological Garden animals according to the required global standards of animal husbandry and welfare, as well as maintenance and management of the enclosures in which they live.
The successful candidate must be in a possession of a Grade12, or equivalent qualification at NQF Level 4, enhanced by 6 months experience in the captive animal or intensive wildlife management field, preferably working with bird species. A valid driver’s license is also required. The applicant must have a passion for animals and knowledge of captive animal husbandry. The successful candidate must also have good written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work in a team as well as independently. The position requires the applicant to conduct physical labour and work outdoors in inclement weather.
The responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Perform animal care and feeding duties
- Perform enclosure cleaning and maintenance
- Assist with breeding and conservation programmes
- Perform animal capture activities
- Perform environmental enrichment activities and animal conditioning training, and assist with pest control
- Perform tool and equipment care, and conduct administration, human resources responsibilities, and stakeholder relations.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms. Seipati Nku on 012 328 3265 or, preferably, forward the completed application form, a cover letter, certified copies of qualifications, ID, Driver’s license and concise CV via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
PO Box 754,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.